Monday, March 17, 2014

The Darkest Joy by Marata Eros

The Darkest Joy by Marata Eros
Publisher: Gallery Books (February 2014)
321 pages, eBook (purchased myself for $7.59)
Book Rating: 4 Stars
Sensuality: Red Heart

Brooke's world is shattered when her entire family is murdered, so she attempts to escape the memories by moving to Alaska and taking a job as a deckhand on a fishing boat, but some things you can't run away from and when her grief overwhelms her, she's lucky Chance was there to foil her desperate plans. This was a sweet romance between a no-commitments player and the broken girl that reformed him. I thought the dialogue was a little immature and overly snarky at times, but for the most part the dry humor was great and I liked the Alaskan backwoods setting and the rustic characters that populated it. Brooke's judgment left something to be desired on many occasions (not returning communications from the FBI and not blinking at having unprotected sex with a known player, etc.) and I'm not sure that grief is a sufficient excuse for it all, but I did like her. She was courageous, engaging and I enjoyed her sense of humor. Chance definitely grew on me as the book went on. The ending and the reveal of the murderer came as a total surprise to me, but I thought it was handled well, and I liked that we got to see a bit further on, to what happened with Brooke and Chance after that. Good Read!

No comments:

Post a Comment