Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Ella Bandita and the Wanderer by Montgomery Mahaffey

Ella Bandita and the Wanderer by Montgomery Mahaffey
Publisher: Free Flying Press (May 2014)
296 pages, eBook (provided by the Author for review)
Book Rating: 4 Stars
Sensuality: Pink Heart

This is a novel-length fable about a young woman who essentially sold her soul to a sorcerer, only to regret it too late. The traditional fable writing style and use of archetypes instead of character names,  made this an unusual and unique read, that takes place in a vivid fantasy world. The overriding theme throughout the story is bad things come from not following your heart (desires and other base instincts will lead you astray). I can’t really say that I liked any of the main characters, and Ella herself I liked least of all. Given her pitiable childhood, I wished I could have liked her more, but her vicious lack of compassion for anyone but herself made that very difficult. The Shepherd, though only a secondary character, was by far my favorite and I found his strong connection to both Ella and the Wanderer very intriguing, especially the pivotal part he played in the Wanderer’s evolution as a character.  Interesting ending, and a very thought-provoking read.

No comments:

Post a Comment