Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Gentle Warrior by Julie Garwood


Gentle Warrior by Julie Garwood
Publisher: Pocket Star (October 2011)
324 pages, eBook (purchased myself for $7.99)
Book Rating: 2 Stars
Sensuality: Red Heart
I really wanted to like this book. I have read quite a few other books by this author and loved all of them, and assumed I would love this one as well. The story started out fine, with the usual conflict and difficultly between the two main characters, Geoffrey and Elizabeth, all the secondary characters were wonderful and Elizabeth was shown to have a few close pets (a hawk, two wolfhounds)-a story element which I particularly like. However, the fighting between the two main characters lasted the entire book and never really got any better due to an unbelievable amount of stupidity on both of their parts, until the ending which I felt came out of nowhere and they were all of the sudden living happily ever after, and the fighting stopped for no apparent reason. I didn’t dislike the main characters, but found myself feeling vastly impatient with both of them, hoping that one or both of them would stop acting like such a child. I also found their “bedroom truce” completely unbelievable considering the intensity and vindictive nature of their daytime battles. I was disappointed that the animals played no significant part in the story, except for a few glimpses at the very beginning, they were all but forgotten by the end of the story leaving me to wonder why they were included at all. I read fiction to escape from the real world. These characters were a bit too real for my taste (having entirely too many faults and an excess of stupidity), and though some of the plot points and the ending were unbelievable to me, I believe the relationship and romance between the two main characters in this story where about as true to life as you get, even for the time period. If that sounds like your cup of tea, you may enjoy this book, but I was looking for something different.

No comments:

Post a Comment