Friday, October 5, 2012

Highland Heat by Mary Wine



Highland Heat by Mary Wine
The Highlander Series, Book 3
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca (March 2011)
353 pages, eBook (purchased myself for $4.99)
Book Rating: 5 Stars
Sensuality: Red Heart

Ruined by her naive choice of her first lover, Deirdre is undertaking an unhappy life of penance at a convent, for lacking of a better choice, until the Queen of Scotland requests her assistance in acting as a diversion for her. Deirdre's part in the Queen's deception sends her straight into the arms of Laird Cameron and he decides to keep her. I identified with Deirdre from the beginning and found her very engaging.  She had been wronged in the past by placing her trust in the wrong person and it seemed she continued to be surrounded by people with questionable motives. I didn't trust the Queen and I didn't trust Laird Cameron for much of the story either, especially since I had questions about his actions in the previous two books in this series. Through everything, including the repeated captures and escapes from various castles, Deirdre never gave up and she always held her head high and I loved that about her. And once you get past all the protective layers, I liked Quinton Cameron too. This was a wonderful story and I hope the author comes back to explore a few of the stories left untold (Coalan and Amber, Roan McLeod and Erlina/Shylah, Cyric Sinclair or Troy Douglas). These first three books in this series were related, but I understand that the next two though related to each other are not necessarily related to the first three. The next book in this series is, The Highlander's Prize.

No comments:

Post a Comment