Thursday, February 14, 2013

Keep Me Safe by Skye Warren


Keep Me Safe by Skye Warren
Dark Erotica Series, Book 1
Publisher: Skye Warren (November 2011)
88 pages, eBook (purchased myself for $0.99)
Book Rating: 3 Stars
Sensuality: Red Heart

Rachel has been kidnapped by a gang and is facing the prospect of rape and unpleasant handling, to say the least, but Zachary, the man claiming her, whispers that he will protect her. I would have thought from the description and/or subject matter that Zachary was going to be a dominant figure, but despite his protective motivations and actions, he was a very submissive character throughout much of this story and I'm not sure how I feel about that. I almost felt like she had to go through hell and bear the extra burden of dragging him along behind her, and she does it almost eagerly. This story is told in first person, from Rachel's point of view, and is both brutal and disturbing, but I felt it focused more on Rachel's thoughts, feelings and coping mechanisms than the violence itself, which is why it held my interest. Whether part of Rachel's personality or simply a facet of the author's writing style, this story contained a fair bit of dry/dark humor, which I enjoyed. The next book in this series is Trust in Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment